Friday 27 December 2013

Task 6a Pilots and Trials

Phonics Observation - Using a Observation Grid


Below is my first attempt at creating and using an Observation Grid, in order to reflect and analyse. I found using the Observation Grid quick and easy to use after the lesson. It could also be used during a lesson, although I plan to use an observation grid towards the end of lesson/club or shortly after it has finished, then use my journal to reflect and add any details and further notes etc…The observation grid below was aimed more at the phonics lesson although the basic principle was there

On reflection of using the grid, I have decided to add numbers to the symbols in order create graphs and charts for further analysis, in order to improve practice. E.G The triangle would = 3.  I have used triangles at starting point to code with, because we use triangles at work. I will give a little more thought to the headings in relation to my inquiry and what I want find out and achieve. 

Getting another person to observe me and then compare her feedback with my own reflection was very helpful. Although I am not going to go into too much detail in this blog, but will reference the feedback in the Professional Inquiry, I found the observation did pick up things that perhaps I had missed, but agreed with. It also gave me some confidence in my own self-reflection/analyse and gave me ideas to help me improve my practice and observation grid.

Whiles being observed, I was a little nervous but also felt an element of control. I think this was because I had chosen to be observed and it was in my inner circle although a few things did happen to change the dynamics of the day – such as the printer not working etc… it was worth doing and something I would choose to do again


Brief guide of phonics plan, 20 minutes

  •         Recap Phase 3 sounds
  •         CCVC/HFW spelling
  •        Introduce new sound
  •        TPS words with new sound
  •       Write words and read bank of words with sound
  •        What? and why? questions
  •        Write sentence with words, apply Green Hat, add adjective to sentence or draw image of           word (to reinforce meaning)
  •        Read sentences – swop sentences if time.


Green Hat is a part of Thinking Hats and is for creative thinking, which the whole school uses. As part of my personal development at work, I need to sometimes use Thinking Hats in booster groups On reflection of using the grid and an element of the feedback I have decided to create some Green Hat creative cards for the phonics group, for developing sounds, sentences, reading and use drawings/images to reinforce meaning.

Questionnaire

I am currently developing my questions for piloting, I have done a little bit of research in regards to the audience in order to develop my questions and have brainstormed some ideas with my son. I have also started to give more thought to how I would analysis it. I will add the pilot in due course either during this module or as part of module 3.

Cross-curricular pilots during afterschool Creativity Club


I have run two pilot cross-curricular activities/projects during a Creativity afterschool club.  In order to run the club, I had get permission from the Gate Keeper (Deputy Head). The letters that were sent out to parents were also checked by the Gate Keeper; permission/reply slips were kept in the office at work, along with a list of names that were attending.  I also kept a register of attendance. This is in line with the schools afterschool clubs. In addition, parents paid £5 per 6 weeks(one hour per week) to cover materials and resources etc... This also goes through the office and is accountable.

The two pilots, were trialling cross-curricular projects that may in the future link to a social Enterprise for Primary Schools. Developing cross-curricular projects for mainstream lessons and learning. The club focuses on creativity within different types learning and structure aiming to improve the attention, engagement and learning as well as developing my planning and delivery skills.  Both pilots aimed to give a purpose to learning, developing thought process and cross-curricular projects.


The first project was aimed at children in year 2 - designing and creating wrapping paper.  I had planned for every child who attended, to get their designed wrapping paper professionally printed and made, even if their final design went wrong. I knew I would be able to tweak it, before sending their design to the printers. I also had spent time researching printing companies to make sure I could keep within budget for the pilot.

Wrapping Paper
Year Group
Year 2
Overview of lesson focus
1hr lesson
Applied Learning
Maths and Art
Patterns, shapes
Textures and Materials
Primary colours
week 1
Introduction how wrapping paper is made and creating textures with materials
10/15min input
Independent
week 2
Primary colours, developing tones and textures with paint
10/15min input
Independent
week 3
learn about patterns and shapes, create a pattern
10/15min input
Independent
week 4
Learn about grids Draw a grid with a ruler - thinking about layout
10/15min input
Independent
Developing fine Motor skills
Cutting, sticking and using a Ruler
week 5
Final Design – brief recap
freedom to be creative
5 min input
Independent
week 6
Final Design – reflect and discuss any problems with children, to give some direction
5 min input
Independent
Take photos of work for tweaking if needed and send to the printers.





Overall the wrapping paper pilot was a success, there are a few things I can improve on. I think I might want to break the input into two 5 minutes, first at the beginning and then half-way through the hour, because of the age of the children and their attention span. Introduce more natural textures from outside in the environment, give some more thought into the resources and aftermath, E.G Printing, reducing costs and thinking how someone else would follow/teach using the Power Point that I had also created and used, planning and resources etc...

I also have to confess I wasn't completely sure who had designed what, although I had rough idea, but lucky enough all the children recognised their own design straight away. (Next time I will draw a little picture next to their name.) I felt a little bit like Father Christmas when I gave them their wrapping paper as I saw their eyes and faces light up, which did put a smile on my face.

The second project was aimed at year 5 writing a short story aimed at children in year 2/3 or lower.  This time the cross-curricular element was drawing, writing and ICT.  I also planned for the stories to printed in a book and had researched printing costs, to make sure I could get there worked printed/published within budget. 

Short story with illustration
 Year Group
Year 2
Overview of lesson focus
1hr lesson
Applied Learning
Creative Writing and Drawing
_____________
Writing for an Audience and understanding language  they might use

Illustration

Learning about copyright

week 1
Looking at Characters, children books, language brainstorming ideas
Copyright
10/15min input
Group/Pair  brainstorming ideas
spend 5min with each  group pair
week 2
Developing plot/story using a flow map
10/15min input
Group/Pair develop plot spend 5min with each group/pair
week 3
Introduce Publisher
Start to type up story
start drawing
10/15min input
Group/Pair learn publisher spend 5min with each group/pair
week 4
Introduce adjectives developing openers
Introduce drawing ideas/skills
two 5min inputs
spend 5min with each group/pair
Developing ICT Skills







Communication  skills
Learning how to create a double page spread.

Induction to using layers in a drawing program

working in a pair/team
week 5
continue writing story and drawing
Introduce drawing tools/layers if time
spend 5/10min with each groups or pair
week 6
Read through stories with children

Teach drawing tools/layers
spend 5/10min with each groups or pair

Make sure everyone has a least three drawings and finishes story
Take photos of drawings and children experiment with drawing tool


I had a slight problem at first, due to it clashing with another club of the same age group that was already running and well established, so the uptake was lower than expected. So I slightly opened it up to children in year 6 and then another child wrote me a creative letter to join. Whiles running the club I did get several children approach me and asked whether I could run it on another day, so I know the interest was there just like my first pilot. Next time I will double check the age group of other clubs running and change the day to suit age group I plan for, although it wasn’t too hard to adjust and open it up to another year group

The children worked in pairs as they planned the story together, developing ideas, thinking about the language and audience. Then one child continued to write the story while the other child became the illustrator and did the drawings. They had to continue to communicate with each other to make sure the drawings matched the story.  They also learnt about Copyright and the fact the story was going to be published, that they had to generated original ideas and drawings.  

The project went well, although there was a couple of hiccups along the way. But! The enthusiasm from the children was overwhelming and so ‘we’ slightly adjusted the project as we went along and it started to come together.  I say ‘we’ and not ‘I’ because the whole group worked really well as a team. They were excited about having their story printed, had a sense purpose and some wanted to continue writing at home. I will add photo of book/books once printed and published.     

I am pleased how this pilot went, although I believe there are things I could improve on. In terms of my delivery and planning. I think I may also like to reflect the pros and cons with other staff members, to get a second opinion to develop the project.  I also think and observation grid would help when it comes to reflecting and focusing on improving my professional practice.


Reflection and Observation Grid Focus


Brief review- focusing on the learning
Delivery - creativity, questioning, timing, modeling, next steps etc..
Cross-curricular learning
Engagement
Resources
Learning Needs

Time spent planning
Flexibility within the planning to adapt if needed.
Time spent on assessing  

No comments:

Post a Comment