Saturday 9 November 2013

5b Code of Practices

5b Code of Practices within my Professional Communities

I work as Teacher Assistant in a primary school, run an after school creativity club and I have also recently became a Governor of a school within my community. In the environment in which I work I am surrounded by policies and regulations. At times I have heard the ringing of ethics in my ears throughout this course. Do I blog this? Can I blog that? What is allowed to be in the public domain? Etc…

In addition I am developing a website and in the long term and beyond this course hopefully develop a Social Enterprise, again ethics is going to play its part and I will be able to build on the basis or even the heart of this course. Furthermore having been a Shop Steward and Health Representative many years ago, (when I worked in retail) I have some understanding of employment/workers acts etc… I also realise on reflection of professional networking that a Union can be more than just providing some security/insurance to employees, fighting for improved pay conditions; it is also a free legal resource for schools, paid for by employees.  I also have some understanding of copyright having done a Graphic Design course.  Furthermore my inquiry is about looking at nature creativity; this will include creativity between schools, and ethics between schools. E.G supporting each other etc… How do they support each other? What are the rules? I think learning this in the long run will develop my skills if I was to become co-ordinator of an area/subject etc… after becoming a teacher and while I am a Governor.

In terms of codes of practice within my Professional Communities and reflecting on past experience and some of ethics information/resources I have looked at, the depth can be very deep. I also considered my own principles and what I had learnt from the previous module, understanding how important to get the balance of wellbeing right, the foundation of any practice – ethos and what makes a professional practice grow – the pattern of development and growth. How does a plant grow? How does a child grow? What holds a building up? Who a keeps a professional practices running? What makes Stainless Steel so Successful? What did Cadbury do for its staff many years ago? What ethics can be learnt from this to develop a practice? Understanding Fair-trade? From this to looking at other student’s blogs to see there take on ethics and the area they decided to research, although we come from different art forms and doing different inquiries, ethics can be very similar.

The following policies vary depending on type of school – taken from the department of Education Website on the 9th 11, 2013 relating to Governing Bodies

http://www.education.gov.uk/schools/toolsandinitiatives/cuttingburdens/a00201669/statutory-policies-for-schools

A. Statutory policies required by education legislation
                                Capability of staff
Charging and remissions
School behaviour
Sex education
Special Educational Needs
Teachers’ pay (They have now introduced performance related pay)
           
B. Statutory policies required by other legislation, which impact particularly on schools (including academies and free schools)
            Data protection
            Health and safety – Risk assessments
           

C. Other statutory documents
Admissions arrangements
Accessibility plan
Behaviour principles written statement (Maintain schools, units etc..)
Written policy on behaviour principles (Academies, I.S and F.S)
Central record of recruitment and vetting checks
Complaints procedure statement
Freedom of Information
Governors’ allowances (schemes for paying)
Home-school agreement document
Instrument of government
Minutes of, and papers considered at, meetings of the governing body and its committees
Premises management documents
Equality information and objectives (public sector equality duty) statement for publication
School information published on a website
Register of business interests of head teachers and governors
Register of pupils’ attendance.
Staff discipline, conduct and grievance (procedures for addressing)
           
D. Documents referenced in statutory guidance
            Child protection policy and procedures
            Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS)
Statement of procedures for dealing with allegations of abuse against staff

In each section above there is a further break down referencing different acts – example of the Education Act 2011 Chapter 21 – Acts are often updating.


Below is summary for a Fire Safety Risk Assessment taken from ‘HM Government Fire Assessment – Educational Premises?




I think you could summarise many of the polices above, into Teaching and Learning, Behaviour, Leadership and Management, Health & Safety and Wellbeing, this should include staff as Head’s have a Duty of Care, Pay & terms and conditions. Etc…
In addition there were further changes in regulations to displaying policies and websites.


Pupil premium and what you should know

Myths and Facts


Below is a news report on inspecting Academies – but what interest me in regards to the report is how school co-operating with each and the scale of it; Improving best practice – this something that interests me. I aim to further look at schools and relationships between schools. What support would a Governor get approaching another school to develop practice? Developing creativity between schools! What happens within partnerships of schools?


I also need to consider the ethos of my current employer and school development and focus



Taken from the school website, which is already in the public domain, further policies can be found on the website http://www.westbrookprimary.com/keyinfo.asp  - 10-11 2013 - We also use Thinking Hats and Thinking Maps linking to thinking schools.

( add After school Club)

(add copyright)


(Add Summary and reflection)  

No comments:

Post a Comment