Sunday 14 April 2013

Task 2c reflective therory


Reflective thinking, learning styles and key skills are something we use within the practice and environment in which I work. However the depth, the amount of focus and the importance of each one is different from one practice to another to which I have worked.

Reflective-on-action, ‘looks’ stronger in my current practice compared to my previous work place, because the books are more unified across the practice. Teacher Assistants are encouraged to assess and record how a lesson went etc… to help the teacher with the next steps, follow the marking scheme as well as teachers. In fact I would say more time is spent on this, than my previous practice. Although time is limited for a Teacher Assistant and Teacher’s do not always have the time to read comments. I would like to point out I say the Reflection-on-action ‘looks’ stronger at my current practice and not ‘is’ because this questionable; because the way of recording the Reflection-on-Action was different at my last practice.  It probably reflected the learning style of the teacher, although there was a unified assessment and recording of progress for the school; when in class I fed back verbally or would write quick short notes about the children I was working with, which the teacher read as she stuck them in her book.  So the feedback was more reflective in Action that impacted on the teacher’s Reflective on Action. I believe the Reflective in Action is stronger at my previous work place and this may reflect style of the head whose very hands on.  Although both practices would use both reflective approaches, I was more able to adapt on the spot if needed when it came to the different abilities in class in my previous practice. However I have started to use more Reflective in Action when it comes to the lower abilities in my current practice and the overall independence is good.

VAK as Gardner calls it, Visual, Auditory and Kinaesthetic learning styles is often encouraged when teaching, sometimes ‘time’ may limit its use, but when applied children are more engaged and you see the benefit. In terms of my own learning style I lean heavily towards visual and kinaesthetic learning. I have noticed that others learn complex names quicker than me when they are auditory spoken, however after reading the register several times or through reading names on a list. I am able to visually spell them; bearing in mind that many of the names are tricky word and do not necessary follow patterns or phonically sounds.  In addition I feel this reflects my ability to spell and the problems I had when I was younger.  My spelling has improved over time through reading, using the words, and some form of rota spelling. Furthermore after working through the Letter and Sounds book, watching the video, learning Cued Articulation and from teaching phonics. I have become more aware different phonemes, graphemes and how sounds are made. I have to consider my own learning style especially as phonics is auditory and going against my own learning style. This doesn’t limit me teaching it, but I may consider this when planning what prompts/resources I may need and consider other children that may have a weaker Auditory learning style. Although I do not have the body for sport or dancing (though I do enjoy dancing and sport), I also learn from doing and can often feel the vibes of a room. Once I was able to communicate with a Downs Syndrome child who couldn’t speak just by vibes and senses alone. I could always feel the presence of the child whenever she entered the room and she could me. In some respect you could say that is tacit knowledge. Tacit knowledge is something I have found interesting from reading the Reader 2, and something I will look further into. I am also interested in experimenting with muscle memory and understanding how dancers relate and use it, could dancers still use their muscle memory whiles closing their eyes? How could dancers communicate muscle memory?

When I look at David Kolb learning cycle, considering my own learning style and thinking, I would say I would enter it at different stages for different things. If I was to consider how I started my blog. I would split into two parts, in terms of setting up the blog I dived straight in, so I would consider this as a ‘Concrete Experience’,  but when it came to how I was going to set it up, I looked at other peoples to give me ideas so that was ‘Reflective Observation. I then YouTube and Google, then experimented with links. When it comes to working with a new child I am doing all four but at speed, I probably enter at ‘Reflective Observation’. If it comes to cooking something new I would probably plan what I need, so would start from ‘Active Experimentation’. When it came to Task 3c I read the reader 2 first, made notes, reflected on my own experience before writing on my blog. If I were to say what my preferred entry point is, then I would like to do a little experiment and create a tally chart to see where I enter more often. In addition how it relates to my practice, considering abilities learning styles and learning something new. I would also very much like to get different viewpoints on David Kolb learning cycle. As well as learn a little bit more about multiple intelligences and its connection to learning styles. 

No comments:

Post a Comment